Rants tag

Rants, ruminations, and rambling remarks from my mad, muddled, meandering mind.

Monday, April 3, 2017

Developer Appreciation Week 2017 - WildStar Soundtrack

Another Developer Appreciation Week is upon us. I've been so out of things, started a vacation with Scooter on Friday, handed off a torch to Ravanel Griffon and she ran with it.
What is an MMO without its music? SWTOR couldn't be SWTOR without the epic score that pays homage to classic John Williams' Star Wars themes. Is there anything more poignant than the tragic score of WoW's Wrath of the Lich King or Legion?

(Insert a plug here for my friends the Battlebards: Syp, Stef and Syl, who are up to 95 episodes as of this writing, and much more capable of musical analysis than I.)
I may have mentioned this once or twice before, but I love the WildStar soundtrack by composer Jeff Kurtenacker. Few game soundtracks come quite as close to WildStar in evoking the feel of the game world. It helps that I love the mix of electronic and rustic instruments. The music is so cool, I included it in our travel mix playlist, alongside Elvis, Adele, Taylor, ELO, REO Speedwagon. And, of course, Journey.

Hopefully, I'll have time to post at least a couple more times before Ravanel's DAW 2017 Deadline of 10 April. And I encourage you, Dear Reader, to post about your own appreciation for the developers of the games you play. Everyone have a great week!

Hmm, feeling the pull of Nexus' gravity well . . .

ETA: Wildstar is free to play, so go ahead and give it a try if you're so inclined.
~~~~~~~~
Creative Commons License
This article from I Have Touched the Sky is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. If you repost part or all of the work (for non-commercial purposes), please cite me as the author and include a link back to the blog.

Scooter proofreads almost all my articles before I post them, for which I am very grateful. However, any mistakes are mine and mine alone (unless otherwise noted). If you are reading this post through RSS or Atom feed—especially more than a couple hours after publication—I encourage you to visit the actual page, as I often make refinements after the fact. The mobile version also loses some of the original character of the piece due to simplified formatting.

4 comments:

  1. I hadn't thought of writing a post in appreciation of game's soundtracks. Music plays a huge role in the memories you keep of a game, I always get a ton of nostalgia listening to soundtracks from old games, and in games like Skyrim or Amnesia I've taken advantage of them to get myself immersed as much I could, so I can relate to what you are saying. I haven't played Wildstar, but I'd try it out if I ever got myself a trial key.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe Wildstar is fully free to download and play: http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/freetoplay/ Go ahead and give it a whirl.

      Delete
  2. I'm happy you did manage to squeeze out some DAW posts, Rowan! Although Scrtz will probably hate me now for ruining your relaxing blogging free vacation. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am, too. :D It was all right; she had some fun with her daughter and the grandkids with me out of her hair.

      Delete